I love it when an Asheville visitor wanders into my art studio and asks if I do commissions. YES! I love commissions. Some commissions I get are awesome. Then there are some that are extraordinary. This request for a painting was in that second category. In Savannah, Georgia, there is really beautiful fountain in Forsyth Park. So rather than retell the story, I'll cut and paste it from the original email I received that began the commission:
- My wife and I met on line a little over 8 years ago and our first date / meeting was at the fountain in Forsyth park. She drove from Atlanta and I from Florida.
- We met late afternoon.
- Probably from the vantage point in the picture you sent, a wedding was taking place.
- We stopped a watched for awhile.
- We went to dinner and came back to the park after dark.
- Impulsively we climbed the fence surrounding the fountain and proceeded to the center.
- We sat at the base enjoying each other's company while becoming thoroughly drenched.
- We have been together ever since and hold fond memories of the fountain and our first meeting.
- My wife thinks that if you consider the different view points that hundreds of online photos can provide, you will capture the essence of what it means to us.
Cool story, huh? I love that! This was a challenge though because (obviously) these people know and love this fountain. I had to get it right! I hope this piece does that magical moment justice. Gosh, I love my job.